The hospitals of Samaritan Health Services awarded $450,000 in “social accountability” grants last year to more than 40 organizations in Samaritan's three-county service area, the Corvallis-based health care provider announced.
Among the largest beneficiaries were the Benton County Oral Health Coalition, Jackson Street Youth Services, ABC House and Meals on Wheels.
The grants are part of Samaritan’s community benefit program, which includes charity care to low-income patients and support for services such as health screenings, health professions education, medical research and community health improvement.
As a tax-exempt entity, Samaritan is required by law to provide a certain level of charity care and other benefits to the areas in which it operates. In 2017, the nonprofit corporation reports, it provided more than $156 million in community benefit services.
Social accountability grants are awarded by committees at each of Samaritan’s five hospitals. To qualify for funding, programs must focus on unmet needs of underserved populations and be collaborative, improve community health, measure performance and plan for self-sufficiency where appropriate.
The following is a list of the largest grants awarded in 2018, by hospital.
Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center (Corvallis)
• Benton County Oral Health Coalition, $25,000
• Center Against Rape and Domestic Violence, $14,000
• Jackson Street Youth Services, $14,000
• Corvallis Environmental Center, $10,000
• Corvallis Housing First, $10,000
Samaritan Albany General Hospital
• ABC House, $10,000
• Jackson Street Youth Services, $10,000
• FISH of Albany, $8,000
• Family Tree Relief Nursery, $7,000
• Mid-Willamette YMCA, $7,000
• Volunteer Caregivers, $7,000
Samaritan Lebanon Community Hospital
• ABC House, $7,500
• FISH of Lebanon, $7,500
• Sweet Home Emergency Ministries, $8,500
• Sweet Home School District, $8,000
• Hand-in-Hand Farm, $5,500
Samaritan Pacific Communities Hospital (Newport) and Samaritan North Lincoln Hospital (Lincoln City)
• Meals on Wheels, $20,000
• Neighbors for Kids, $16,000
• Senior Corps of Linn, Benton and Lincoln Counties, $13,000
• Lincoln County School District – JOY Project and LIFT Program, $12,700
• Yachats Youth and Family Activities Program, $10,000