Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.

Blaze that destroyed Mallard Creek clubhouse not suspicious

  • Updated
  • 0

A fire destroyed the clubhouse at the Mallard Creek Golf Course & RV Resort, about eight miles east of Lebanon at 31966 Bellinger Scale Road, on Monday night.

The skeletal remains of the structure were left charred and smoldering on Tuesday morning, as investigators scoured the scene.

They determined that the cause of the fire was an electrical malfunction in a circuit breaker. Empty spaces that couldn't be accessed easily in the building helped the flames spread and hampered firefighting efforts, according to a news release. 

The building housed a pro shop, restaurant, bar and offices, and the preliminary loss value is about $1.3 million, said Jon Davis, fire prevention specialist for the Lebanon Fire Department.

No one was hurt in the blaze, which was reported at about 11:27 p.m.

About 35 firefighters from Sweet Home, Brownsville, Tangent, Albany, and Scio assisted with the three-alarm blaze, he added.

“When they arrived, there was a well-established fire in the building,” Davis said. The flames were brought under control at about 2:30 a.m.

Most of the mutual aid units were water tenders, as the nearest fire hydrant was five miles away. 

On Tuesday morning, the RV park and golf course remained open, and several people were hitting the links despite a lingering smell of smoke.

Tonn Cummins’ family owns the course, which opened in 2000. He said the clubhouse was built about 15 years ago. “I spent quite a bit of time out here,” he said.

He was glad no one was injured. “Fires are so unfortunate, but it is just a building. … Seems like we have a lot of support, and that’s important,” Cummins said.

Lori Middleton, who manages the restaurant, said the fire appeared to have started in that area of the building.

“To drive up and see it was just so sad, so sad, because it’s like home. It’s a little crazy,” she said.

Daniel Mares of Albany has been a member of Mallard Creek for 10 years, and he was finishing up a round of golf on Tuesday morning.

“It’s kind of a shame. That facility was nice,” Mares said.

He said he joined Mallard Creek because it was inexpensive, and liked the organization because it was less like a country club, and more like a club out in the country. “Everybody’s really nice,” Mares said.

Jo Stallard of Auckland, New Zealand, was staying at the RV park and said the fire was spectacular and chaotic. “There were fire units all over the place,” she said.

“It’s a good community here. They’ll survive,” Stallard added.

Kyle Odegard can be reached at, 541-812-6077 or via Twitter @KyleOdegard. 


Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alert

Breaking News