Subscribe for 17¢ / day

SEATTLE – Late-game mistakes and turnovers again prevented Oregon State from ridding itself of a road losing streak now almost two years long.

The Beavers had Washington within reach Thursday but couldn’t make enough plays down the stretch.

The Huskies made 9 of 10 free throws in the final four minutes to hold on for a 79-77 Pac-12 men’s basketball win at Alaska Airlines Arena.

Tres Tinkle had 22 points including a buzzer-beater from just inside halfcourt for the Beavers, who have now lost 22 straight true road games dating back to a win at UCLA to end the 2015-16 regular season.

Tinkle has now scored in double figures in 32 straight games.

Stevie Thompson added 19 points and Drew Eubanks 15 points and seven rebounds for Oregon State (14-15, 6-11), which wraps up its Pac-12 schedule Saturday afternoon at Washington State in Pullman.

“It’s kind of a microcosm of the year,” Beavers coach Wayne Tinkle said in a postgame radio interview. “Unfortunately we just let it slip away."

Noah Dickerson had 25 points for Washington (20-10, 10-7), which avenged a 97-94 double-overtime loss in Corvallis 19 days earlier.

Oregon State carried over its strong offensive run to end the first half to forge a tie in the second after trailing by 11 before halftime.

Ethan Thompson’s 3-pointer with 17:10 left capped a 13-2 run that got the Beavers even at 44-all. Eubanks had four points in the opening four minutes.

OSU tied the game twice more before Washington scored five quick points.

A Tres Tinkle 3-pointer and two Eubanks free throws kept the Beavers close.

Alfred Hollins hit two free throws and fellow freshman Zach Reichle added two more with 10:01 remaining to up the Beavers ahead 59-57, their first advantage since the game’s opening minutes.

Washington retook the lead at 62-61 on David Crisp’s third 3-pointer of the game.

With the Beavers struggling on offense down the stretch, Dickerson scored off an offensive rebound with 4:29 left to put the Huskies up four. Jaylen Nowell added two free throws with 3:45 remaining to make it 70-64.

Oregon State was 2-of-7 shooting during a late stretch that also included two shot-clock violation.

Tres Tinkle’s elbow jumper with 2:41 to go gave the Beavers their first field goal in nearly four minutes and closed the gap to three. A Stevie Thompson jumper with 90 seconds left got it back to three.

Oregon State would get no closer than that margin until Tres Tinkle’s desperation heave as time expired.

The Beavers shot 56.9 percent (29 of 51) and the Huskies 57.1 (24-42). Washington was 23 of 30 at the foul line and Oregon State 12 of 16. OSU won the rebounding 26-17.

A hot shooting start helped the Huskies to a double-digit lead in the first half.

Washington was shooting 34.2 percent on 3-pointers (10th in the Pac-12) for the season but made seven of their first 10 deep balls Thursday and led 42-37 at halftime.

Gligorije Rakocevic scored six of the Beavers’ first eight points to equal his season high in points less than five minutes into the game.

The Huskies hit five 3-pointers in the first nine-plus minutes to take a five-point lead. Matisse Thybulle’s third 3-pointer of the half pushed the advantage to 10.

Oregon State scored the final six points of the half, with four more from Rakocevic, to close within five at the break.

Stevie Thompson’s 12 points, including three 3-pointers without a miss, led the Beavers at halftime. Rakocevic had 10.

The Beavers had a hard time slowing down Washington forward Noah Dickerson inside. Dickerson had 10 points on 5-of-7 shooting to go with Thybulle’s 12 points.

Washington shot 15 of 29 (7 of 12 on 3s) for the half, while OSU was 15 of 29 overall and 4 of 11 from deep. The Huskies were just 1 of 4 on 3-pointers in the second half.

The Beavers led 16-10 on the boards, with five apiece from Eubanks and Tres Tinkle.


Sports Reporter

Load comments