PORTLAND — Chance Hendrickson expected to be a state placer entering the 2016-17 wrestling season.

A gold medal wasn’t yet on the Harrisburg High sophomore’s radar.

But Hendrickson exceeded his own forecast at the OSAA 3A state championships, earning a 1-0 decision over Willamina/Falls City’s Remigio Tapia-Bravo in Saturday night’s 113-pound title match at Memorial Coliseum. It’s the first state championship for Hendrickson, who placed fourth a season ago as a freshman.

“I went into this year thinking I was just going to place,” Hendrickson said. “And now I’m here at the top, and it feels amazing.”

Harrisburg teammate Dax Bennett also won a title at 152 as the Eagles placed fifth in the team points race at 107.5. Scio took seventh (101), Jefferson 13th (30) and Santiam Christian 15th (27.5).

Nyssa cruised to the team title with 287 points.

After a scoreless first two rounds, the top-seeded Hendrickson began the third on bottom and escaped for a point. Second-seeded Tapia-Bravo was unable to get a takedown in the final 75 seconds.

“I was just trying to not let him score,” Hendrickson said. “That was my main focus. Defending against the single-leg takedown and anything else he might throw at me.”

Tapia-Bravo and Hendrickson had previously met at last year’s Special District 2 championships (Willamina and Harrisburg are no longer in the same district). Hendrickson avoided Tapia-Bravo’s dangerous shots and won via second-round pin.

Hendrickson dodged a first-round shot Saturday and held on to Tapia-Bravo for the entire second round. He scored the match-winning point in the third.

Bennett, the No. 1 seed at 152, pinned No. 2 Ryland Parazoo of Glide in 5:54. Parazoo was last year’s runner-up at 145 while Bennett won the 132 title.

“I don’t know if this is as good as the first, but that was pretty fun,” said Bennett, a sophomore. “I really wanted that pin for team points, and just to get it over with and stick him right there.”

Bennett defeated Parazoo earlier this year by a 9-5 decision and led 2-0 heading to the second round.

After riding Parazoo for the entire period, Bennett went up 6-0 on an escape and takedown before finishing it with a pin.

“I was just trying to not get in bad position and keep the pace up,” Bennett said.

In a matchup of unseeded juniors, Scio’s Ryan Mask escaped in overtime and pinned Dayton’s Josue Martinez for the 220 title.

It was the first high school OT match for Mask, who got the pin in 7:23.

“It was there and I took it,” Mask said. “He was in bad position on his knees and he left his arm hanging. That was a bad move on his part. We were both tired, I was definitely tired. I don’t really know what else to say.”

Martinez and Mask were tied at 3 after regulation and the first minute of OT.

Mask, who upset second-seeded Chase Onstot of Willamina/Falls City in the quarterfinals, escaped with 23 seconds remaining. He was then able to finish the match in style.

Scio teammate Jacob Lowther, the No. 2 seed at 285, was pinned by top-seeded Osiris Tapia of Nyssa in 1:01.

It’s the third straight heavyweight championship for Tapia, who pinned Lowther in the second round at last year’s state tournament. Lowther wound up placing sixth in 2016.

In the 170 final, Harrisburg’s Layten Briggs lost a controversial 5-4 decision to Chandler Allen of Willamina/Falls City.

The match was tied 3 with 45 seconds remaining after Allen was called for a second straight stalling violation. Allen got a takedown with 18 seconds left and Briggs got an escape to close within one.

The two wrestlers went back to the center of the mat on a restart with seven seconds left. Allen began to retreat at the sound of the whistle, but no additional stalling point was awarded.

Eagles coach Desmond Bennett was furious at the no-call, and his demonstrative frustration after the match resulted in a violation against Harrisburg.

Get the latest sports news and scores sent to your email inbox


A loss in the district final provided Monroe senior Justin Doyle some extra motivation in the week leading up to state as he chased his second state title.

Doyle, seeded second instead of first due to his district loss, started slowly but worked his way to a 13-2 major decision against Lowell’s Kasey Irwin in the 132 final.

“It’s the greatest feeling in the sport being able to go out and dominate like that and come out with your hand raised,” Doyle said.

Doyle, whose only loss of the season came against Nestucca’s Jordan Whittles in the district final, led just 2-1 after Irwin’s escape with 28 seconds left in the second round.

Doyle went back to work, forcing a takedown and near fall before the end of the period. He opened the third with another takedown and rolled from there.

As his hand was raised in victory, he put up two fingers to signal his repeat following state runner-up finishes as a freshman and sophomore.

In the 182 final, Central Linn’s Ben Hughes made up for some past frustration of not winning a state title and got his as a senior.

Hughes wrapped up Lowell’s Kenny Lane, got Lane to his back and earned a second-round pin.

“I saw the opportunity to bear hug him, locked up and squeezed,” Hughes said.

Hughes said he had wanted a state title the past four years and came up short his first three tries.

“Then this year I put myself in position to do it,” Hughes said, crediting his training partners in addition to some other factors. “Heart, a lot of heart. I trained a lot. Lift weights, I’m always in the weight room.”

The Cobras placed third in the team points race at 60 while Monroe was eighth at 35.


Load comments