Mailbag: Three presidents agreed

2013-01-28T07:45:00Z Mailbag: Three presidents agreed Albany Democrat Herald
January 28, 2013 7:45 am

Three presidents agreed

I’d like to pose this question: How is a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines about Obama, freedom and the Second Amendment?

President Ronald Reagan supported a ban on assault weapons, and Justice Antonin Scalia ruled the ban was constitutional.

In closing, here is an excerpt from a letter written by  Presidents Reagan, Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter:

“We are writing to urge your support for a ban on the domestic manufacture of military-style assault weapons. This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety.”

Russell Dorgan

Albany (Jan. 25)

Copyright 2015 Albany Democrat Herald. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(9) Comments

1. Libertarian
    Libertarian - January 28, 2013 5:01 pm
    And Kenny, I have never dismissed any information based solely upon its source. I may have commented on the source, but I always address the specific points raised. I challenge you to produce any evidence to the contrary.
  2. Libertarian
    Libertarian - January 28, 2013 4:45 pm

Kenny exhibits more huffing and puffing, but still has not produced a single specific as to what is wrong with my posted links, either in terms of their specific content, or in terms of the character of the sources. Kenny issues nothing but vague assertions and INSINUATIONS like “Tea Party,” “libertarian,” “slanted,” “partisan,” “biased,” “counterproductive,” “ranting,” and “summarily dismissed.” Are we to conclude that Kenny is unable to read an article and evaluate it just for what it actually says? Is it consistent with the facts? Does it provide evidence to back up its points? Is it logically consistent? Does it advocate moral principles? That’s what I do when I’m presented an article from almost ANY source. There may be persons or groups deserving of being “summarily dismissed,” but the Tea Party and libertarians do not deserve that. They can defend their ideas actually far more effectively than progressives can. They should not be marginalized, and they will not be marginalized, by Kenny or anyone else. In my debates with Kenny in other threads I have shown that he is utterly unable to defend his views effectively. He RUNS AWAY from answering fundamental questions because he has no answers, yet he is unable to understand that that means he’s WRONG. Kenny’s “advice” is not welcome as long as he continues to INSINUATE that people and groups with ideas similar to mine are somehow unworthy of consideration.

3. Freedom writer
    Freedom writer - January 28, 2013 3:58 pm

Kenny, It is easy to see that any time someone disagrees with you with any degree of confidence, you accuse them of "being abusive". When I clearly stated exactly what I thought of your attempt to "put words into my mouth", and called you on it, you said I was "insinuating". Must be a problem with your definition of both "abusive" and "insinuate". Kenny, I must say....you seem a bit thin skinned for this sort of activity. I've yet to see anyone here be "abusive" to you, and I will continue to express disagreement (abuse you in your parlance) when I deem it worthy of the effort.

4. Kenny D
    Kenny D - January 28, 2013 3:28 pm
    "If you have a problem with my sources, let’s have some specifics." - You ignored the reason three times now. I suggest you re-read my comments.

"If you think you have better sources, I see no reason why you can’t present them." - A Libertarian that wants something for free? Shame on you.

"I have a right to post links I think are valuable. If progressives are too brainwashed to read them and evaluate them in an unbiased way, they are beyond reach anyway." - Funny thing is, you personally have berated me for left-leaning links I provided you as evidence. Are you too brainwashed to evaluate them in an unbiased way, or are you beyond reach? It's a two-way street, my friend...

"Your absurd efforts to marginalize me will not work." I am not exerting any effort nor energy to marginalize you. I gave you advice - namely, support your opinion with non-partisan links that cannot be summarily dismissed. And, as always, you bring out your thesaurus and use abusive words - 'moronically', 'ridiculous', 'brainwashed', and the infamous 'insinutations'. You attack a person who supports your views on this issue. Your comments here, as well as your refusal to listen to advice, is you marginalizing yourself. I will not interact with you when you start being abusive. Good day, sir.

5. Libertarian
    Libertarian - January 28, 2013 3:14 pm
    Kenny, there is nothing wrong with my sources (that I know of). If you have a problem with my sources, let’s have some specifics. In this thread and others, you have made numerous insinuations about my sources without ever stating any specific issues or problems with them.

Your absurd efforts to marginalize me will not work. You and your fellow progressives are the ones who should be marginalized. You incessantly and moronically seek to quash liberty in almost every conceivable way, and then you have the ridiculous audacity to suggest that libertarians are the ones who should be marginalized.
  6. Kenny D
    Kenny D - January 28, 2013 2:07 pm
    Lib, my feelings on the Tea Party and the Libertarian Party are not the issue here. Also not at issue here are your perceived notions of my worldwide enslavement plan.

What is at issue is your continued use of slanted partisan websites to support your views on weapons control. I do not doubt there is some truth on these sites, just as I do not doubt there is truth to be found on MoveOn.org, Upworthy, or Huff Post. Your use of these sites is counterproductive to any discussion, because people will summarily dismiss your arguments based on their prior experiences with these sites, much as you personally would summarily dismiss any evidence I would use from any left-leaning website.

There are plenty of non-partisan, non-biased, non-ranting websites that support your belief; I ask, for the sake of *your* argument, that you use those as source material.
  7. Libertarian
    Libertarian - January 28, 2013 1:03 pm
    Per Wikipedia:

The TEA PARTY movement is an American political movement that advocates strict adherence to the United States Constitution, reducing U.S. government spending and taxes, and reduction of the U.S. national debt and federal budget deficit. The movement is generally considered to be partly conservative, partly libertarian, and partly populist. The movement has sponsored protests and supported political candidates since 2009.

LIBERTARIANISM is the group of political philosophies which advocate minimizing coercion and emphasize freedom, liberty, and voluntary association. Libertarians generally advocate a society with a greatly reduced state or no state at all.

-----------------
    In Kenny’s mind, the Tea Party and Libertarianism are thoroughly reprehensible. Apparently Kenny wants to trash the Constitution, raise government spending and taxes, and increase the national debt. Apparently Kenny wants to maximize coercion, minimize freedom, and maximize government.
  8. Kenny D
    Kenny D - January 28, 2013 12:21 pm
    Using TPer and Libertarian websites to support an obvious truth is counterproductive.
  9. Libertarian

------------------------------------------------
    A WELL-ARMED CITIZENRY IS ESSENTIAL FOR PRESERVING LIBERTY

Guns and freedom - Judge Andrew P. Napolitano:

Guns and the Government by Andrew P. Napolitano:

Gun Rights as a Defense against Tyranny:

Americans misunderstand the point of the Second Amendment – Walter Williams:
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Having trouble activating? Click here for help.

where am i logo
50 Objects

Events Calendar

Login or register to add your events to the calendar! Add event

Poll

Schools usually require parental consent before showing R-rated movies. Should the same consent be required for comparable literature?

View Results

Offers & Announcements

Featured Businesses

Latest Associated Press Videos

Bulletins

Marketplace

Share Your Photos

Staff Photos

Receive Email Updates

Quick notification of big news. Delivered when news breaks (used sparingly).

Top headlines from democratherald.com delivered to you daily.

Get updates about the Beaver sports. Delivered 3 times a week.

Content Match