Subscribe for 17¢ / day

Albany Police have identified the man who is believed to have shot himself after allegedly breaking into ACE Buyers on Santiam Highway in Albany early Sunday morning.

Police say the man is Benjamin Adam Jones, 36, who is new to Oregon, is now at a hospital in Springfield. Jones is originally from Utah, according to police.

Jones was first taken to Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center in Corvallis after police responded to an alarm at ACE Buyers and discovered him inside with apparent self-inflicted wounds.  Jones has since been transported to  Springfield. His current condition is unknown.

According to police, officers responded to the alarm and heard shots from inside the building. Signs of forced entry had been discovered, and a SWAT team was called in and entered the building, where they found Jones.

Santiam Highway between Waverly and Interstate 5 was shut down for more than four hours while police were on the scene. Detectives are continuing to investigate the incident. 


Earlier story

Albany police are investigating an  incident in which a man may have broken into an Albany pawn shop and then shot and severely wounded himself.

His condition was unknown late Sunday, as was his name. The police provided few details.

The events unfolded at Ace Buyers, 2840 Santiam Highway S.E. in Albany, early Sunday morning.

According to police reports, officers responded to an alarm there at 4:36 a.m. They found evidence of forced entry, and less than a minute later heard what was believed to be a gunshot.

Police set up a perimeter and called the APD SWAT team, which eventually entered the building and found the man.

Shortly after 8 he was transported to Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center in Corvallis with wounds police believe were self-inflicted.

Gaylyn Shay of Albany, who shot photos and video of the scene, saw the man being brought out of the building on a fire department gurney.

“I thought he just had a rag around his face,” she said in an email. “When I got back to my studio and saw these on screen, I realized that he had shot his face off.”

On a loudspeaker, officers outside the building had urged the man inside to put his arms up and come out, or to answer the phone or call 911.

“But after seeing his face, I don’t think he could see or hear,” Shay said.

The scene was turned over to detectives, who were continuing the investigation. No further information has been released.

Linn County Sheriff’s deputies assisted on the call.

Santiam Highway was closed from just beyond Waverly Drive to Interstate 5 for more than four hours while police were on the scene, reopening just after 9 a.m.


Load comments