Mother issues statement in bomb case

2013-05-28T06:45:00Z 2013-05-28T16:59:32Z Mother issues statement in bomb caseDemocrat-Herald Albany Democrat Herald
May 28, 2013 6:45 am  •

Albany police say school safe, send extra officers there

The mother of a youth accused of planning to bomb West Albany High School issued a statement Monday through her lawyer, saying the boy has struggled with a rare form of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.

Also Monday, an Albany Police Department spokesman said three resource officers will be on hand today to meet with students, staff and parents at the school, as students return from four days off.

Attorney Alan S. Lanker of Corvallis contacted the Corvallis Gazette-Times with the statement, saying he was representing only Marianne Fox and not her accused son, Grant Alan Acord, a 17-year-old junior at West.

Lanker said the boy  primarily lived with his mother in North Albany.

In her statement, Fox said:

“My heart goes out to everyone affected by Grant’s struggle with PANDAS, a rare form of OCD.  I grieve for my son, but understand and support the efforts of law enforcement to keep our beloved community safe.

“This is a challenging and confusing time for everyone who knows Grant.  I will have no further comment while I wait with the rest of you to see what unfolds.”

PANDAS is an acronym for  Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections.

In Monday’s press briefing, Sgt. Alan Lynn said that seven to nine patrol officers will also provide an extra presence throughout the day at all 23 schools in the Great Albany district.

Acord is being held at the Linn Benton Juvenile Facility and is scheduled to be arraigned today in Benton County Circuit Court.

He has been charged with one count of aggravated attempted murder and six counts each of manufacturing a destructive device, possession of a destructive device and possession of a weapon with intent to use it against another person.

“We hope to mitigate the fears of students, staff and parents with an extra presence,” Lynn said. “The safety of the students and staff is a priority. We hope to reduce any anxieties out there.”

The student resource officers will meet with staff before school and then, along with Principal Susie Orsborn, address the 1,400 members of the student body. There will be one student resource officer at each high school and at Memorial Middle School.

“It’s important to emphasize that these things don’t occur in a vacuum,” Lynn said. “Someone had the courage to come forward.”

Lynn added that officers have learned that other students had heard “bits and pieces” about Acord’s plans.

“They thought it was odd, but they didn’t think they had enough information to call and report it,” Lynn said. “They overhead things or saw things on Facebook or Twitter.”

Lynn would not divulge any personal information about the person who made the initial report.

Lynn emphasized that the high school building is safe to occupy.

“Thursday night we found nothing visible and Friday, we had four bomb sniffing dog units go over every room and tunnel in the building,” Lynn said. “We also hand searched every outbuilding. We are confident that everything is safe.”

Lynn said his son is a student at West Albany and he will be in classes today.

“We plan to have our patrol teams provide extra security until the last day of the school year, which is June 12,” Lynn said. “We want to reassure parents their children are safe. All of my children will be in school.”

Alex Paul contributed to this story

Copyright 2015 Albany Democrat Herald. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(5) Comments

1. PublicPlaces
    PublicPlaces - May 28, 2013 3:12 pm
    If she is truly as grieving for the community and shocked and saddened by her sons actions as she states, then as parents they will elect not to post bail. They will choose to leave him in the detention facility where he can get the help he so desperately needs while awaiting trail. They will elect protect the West Albany students and community, and allow them time to heal.
  2. Theresa
    Theresa - May 28, 2013 2:29 pm
    First of all, I have two of my own kids that attend West Albany plus many other family members and close friends, so this definitely touched home. I am thankful to the student who was brave enough to tell the authorities! Very much a hero!! I am praying for Grant Acords mother and father...they are living a nightmare. While we all want to point fingers and go for the parenting juggler vein; let me remind you that we raise our kids to the best of our abilities and from their they make their choices. I am an attentive parent who has rules and boundaries and I have all the passwords to my kids accounts, yet I am sure they still get away with and do things I don't know about. I so appreciate Marianne Fox's comment that she grieved as a parent but also understood the protection of the community and understands what law enforcement has to do for the safety of the community that she also resides in. Marianne, i do not know you but I am praying for you during these next months of your journey.
  3. Zelda
    Zelda - May 28, 2013 11:53 am
    First what a lame excuse. My nephew had this was not OCD nor collecting bombs and explosive devices. The parent should stop making excuses which is only a way to portray the perpetrator as a victim. If he had this so called illness why was he allowed $& to accumulate this and his room and Surroundings not controlled. This is a way to exonerate him from responsibility which is the problem with parents today. Attorney Zelda
  4. oregonguy846
    oregonguy846 - May 28, 2013 7:21 am
    First I was upset that I did not find out about this until Saturday, now I really upset that this mom is going to make excuses for her son. I have suffered mental problems my whole life and never wanted to blow up a school. I am a stay at home dad who is very active in my children's days and school activities. Maybe if more parents cared about their kids instead of their jobs so they can afford fancy homes (broken ones) we would have far less of this stuff happening. just saying.
  5. Resident in Area
    Resident in Area - May 28, 2013 1:28 am
    Yeah me too. I'm obsessively compulsing that this delinquent's actions threaten the safety of my wife and kids. String him up. He put on his big boy shoes so try, convict, and sentence like a big boy... FOREVER. NO PITY.

Sorry lady, cannot imagine how a your kids can be building all those bombs without you knowing something was wrong. That is unless you are like so many parents that really have no involvement in their kids life. I would have preferred you not make a statement than to issue some lame as excuse as to why we should feel sorry for you and that hopefully soon to be convicted terrorist.

Yes I am a parent. I am so concerned with connecting with my kids that I am learning to skateboard at my age with my sons aged 9 and 11. You might would be surprises at how something as simple as that provides a bond and an opportunity to communicate and connect. I am hoping unfortunately for you that the only way you are gonna be able to bond and communicate is through prison glass. Maybe you have another kid you can try over again with...
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Activate subscription button gif

Having trouble activating? Click here for help.

where am i logo
50 Objects

Daily Primer

Events Calendar

Login or register to add your events to the calendar! Add event

Poll

The Oregon Department of Transportation is launching a test pay-as-you-drive road tax that would charge drivers 1.5 cents per mile. Do you support or oppose this alternative to the existing state and local fuel taxes to fund road maintenance?

View Results