Lebanon crews battled a small house fire Tuesday evening in the 31000 block of Fourth Street in Waterloo, east of Lebanon.
According to Lebanon Fire District Battalion Chief Ken Savage, the initial call came in at around 8:42 p.m. as a flue fire. However, it spread into the single-story structure's wall and attic, where personnel were able to control and extinguish it within an hour.
Savage said that two people were in the residence at the time of the fire but escaped safely. Their names were not immediately available, nor did Savage know how many other people lived in the house. He did not have an immediate estimate of damages but said, "It is good that the house is still standing."
Six units from Lebanon responded to the scene, with some 15 firefighters battling the blaze. Their hard work was rewarded with cake, coffee and hot water, courtesy of nearby residents Sherman and Barbara Richey.
"I saw them out there in the cold and I thought, 'Well, someone might want a cup of coffee and hot chocolate,'" Sherman said.