Albany teen dies in crash

2012-11-15T14:03:00Z 2012-11-16T12:04:47Z Albany teen dies in crashBy Kyle Odegard, Albany Democrat-Herald Albany Democrat Herald
November 15, 2012 2:03 pm  •

An Albany teen was killed in a head-on collision on Knox Butte Road Wednesday night.

Dannica Dillenbeck was 18.

Dillenbeck’s Toyota pickup veered into the oncoming lane of traffic for an unknown reason, said Lt. Steven Westling, of Albany Police Department. Lebanon resident Oather Messer, 78, was driving a 2002 Chrysler van that was struck.

He and Dorothy Meier, 90, of Lebanon were transported to the hospital by Albany Fire Department medics.

On Thursday afternoon, both were at Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center.  Messer was in fair condition   and Meier in serious condition.

The fatal wreck occurred at about 7:52 p.m., and was 300 feet west of Bridle Springs Street.

Dillenbeck was the only person in the Toyota. It isn’t known if she was wearing a safety belt.

Investigation into the crash is continuing.

Dillenbeck graduated this spring from the online Oregon Connections Academy, said her father, Larry Dillenbeck of Salem.

She loved photography, kayaking and camping, and was learning to play the piano and violin. She also volunteered at the Albany Public Library and the Linn County Courthouse.

“She was just such a very, very sweet, loving, happy person who brought so much light into our lives,” said Larry Dillenbeck. “She laughed a lot, smiled a lot, always wanting to help and be there for other people.”

Kyle Odegard covers public safety for the D-H. He can be contacted at 541-812-6077 or kyle.odegard@lee.net.

Copyright 2015 Albany Democrat Herald. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(25) Comments

1. Melissa
    Melissa - December 02, 2012 10:00 am
    Thank you, mddd... Your thoughts and prayers and your memories of Dannica are the greatest gift.

With Love,
    Melissa
  2. mddd
    mddd - December 01, 2012 8:53 pm
    Melissa-
    I know Dannica, I worked with her, it seems as tho she learned a lot about being a gracious and loving person from you. I must say, I admire you for being able to speak to this in such an understanding and kind manner. That truely speaks volumes. Dannica will always be remembered as a sweet, kind loving and precious person. She brought a lot to my life and I am sure a lot of others she worked with would say the same. The time I spent working with her was truly a blessing.

You are always in my prayers.

Blessings,
    mdds
  3. mddd
    mddd - December 01, 2012 8:37 pm
    Glassdogangle-
    nar·cis·sist
    [nahr-suh-sist] Show IPA

noun
    a person who is overly self-involved, and often vain and selfish. ENOUGH SAID!
  4. laserjill
    laserjill - November 30, 2012 10:28 pm
    Melissa, Thank you. Diana
  5. glassdogangle
    glassdogangle - November 30, 2012 7:17 pm
    NOBODY: "Jumping to conclusions before it is verified that a phone was involved is a careless, emotionally based statement that identifies the accuser as irrational."

GLASSDOGANGLE: I didn't jump to any conclusion. I was "wondering if cell phones or texting is causing these crashes"

NOBODY: "Glass, your faulty emotional 'reasoning' based on an assumption along with your inflammatory statements about women are unfounded without factual documentation."

GLASSDOGANGLE: Factual documentation? How about this: I logged on again today to ADH and guess what? Yet another woman (Diane Raye Powell) runs a red light and crashes into a van on Pacific and Waverly. Also, every time I ride in my girlfriend's car I experience near-death situations. I don't need documentation. I need to start wearing a crash helmet when my gf drives.

NOBODY: "You sound sexist..."

GLASSDOGANGLE: So?

NOBODY: "I am a woman with a PhD and I am, using your logic as a model, going to assume you are poorly educated, frustrated, unhappy, and have not achieved any real success in your life."

GLASSDOGANGLE: A PhD in what? ESP? If so, you should demand a refund for the money you wasted. You are wrong on all of the above.

NOBODY: "If you had actual information, I would understand your statements about the phone use, but to assume and make hurtful statements identifies you as ridiculously ignorant."

GLASSDOGANGLE: "Ridiculously ignorant people" ignore reality, and they do not question things or try to find answers to why bad things happen, nor look for solutions to prevent accidents such as this from happening in the future.

Have a nice day, Ms. Nobody!
  6. Melissa
    Melissa - November 30, 2012 11:31 am
    To all who have commented here, I share Diana's sentiment of thanks for the love and care you are showing. Your thoughts and prayers are truly sustaining and, I believe, have given us all moments of strength to move through these first days without our loved ones in our lives the ways they once were. Please remember, "In the end, all that will matter is how we treated each other." I'm feeling that most profoundly, particularly in learning of all the ways that Dannica touched other's lives with this simple philosophy. She really lived it. It really mattered.

Melissa Murphy - Dannica's mom
  7. Melissa
    Melissa - November 30, 2012 11:24 am
    My Dear Diana... We live in such a beautiful place. It warms my heart to know that you have had the same outpouring from friends, family and yes, total strangers. I, too, feel the bond between our families. "Why?!" crosses my mind so many times every day. What follows is a motivation and determination to make it matter. Nothing happens, as you've said, for no reason. I don't believe in cooincidence and I know from life's experience that blessings come from even the most devastating of tragedies. Many have already begun to shine through in the connections made with friends we didn't even know we had.

Diana, I want you and your family to know that we have tried to contact you but because of HIPPA no one could tell us anything. I appreciate they're doing their jobs. I just so wanted to hold your loved one's hands. When you are with them, please whisper to them that we are praying for them and thinking of them.

May peace fill your hearts now, in this season of love and giving, and always.

With Love,
    Melissa
  8. laserjill
    laserjill - November 29, 2012 10:15 pm
    Dearest Melissa, It has been two weeks since your precious child was called away. I think of her everyday and wish she were still with us, I would have loved to meet this most incredible young woman...I have asked everyday, "why", as I care for my Father and his lady in the hospital...why this senseless loss of life, why the pain, why the suffering...I do not have any answers. Yet, even in my profound grief, I have had the most wonderful outpouring of love from total strangers, from friends, from my own loved ones. Melissa, our families are forever joined in our grief and I believe, at least I really want to believe, there is a reason.

To all of the other writers: In review of the posts here, I would say to the folks who have taken the time to write, thank you for your love and care and continue to be loving and generous to each other. We can never go back to the one second before the accident, but we can take care right here and right now. I desperately want my Dad back to the way he was, but I am willing to trust that there is a reason.

Diana
  9. Melissa
    Melissa - November 29, 2012 3:46 pm
    glassdogangle...

I would give anything to have the answer to your question. I would also give anything to be able to ask my daughter, Dannica, that question myself. I agree with you that cell phone use should *never* happen when one is driving. I would ask you to maintain the passion you have for this problem and fixing it. I would also ask that this not be the time or place you choose to do it. We still don't know what happened and we may never know.

Melissa Murphy
  10. Melissa
    Melissa - November 29, 2012 2:03 pm
    Dear, Dear Nunn15... Please know that your grandparents are in our thoughts and prayers and have been since the moment the accident happened, as are all of your family who are hurting for them at this time. If I could hug you right now, I surely would, and reassure you that you will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

With Love,
    Melissa Murphy - Dannica's mom
  11. lion
    lion - November 24, 2012 1:10 pm
    My sympathy is with the families suffering in this tragedy. It is sad people feel the need to comment purely in conjecture and supposition, having no humanity, or compassion for their fellow human beings. Try to remember the good.
  12. nobody
    nobody - November 24, 2012 7:22 am
    Has anyone considered that she could have had a medical issue that caused the accident? Jumping to conclusions before it is verified that a phone was involved is a careless, emotionally based statement that identifies the accuser as irrational. Fainting, seizure, and heart problems that may not yet have been identified in this young woman could be possible. Glass, your faulty emotional 'reasoning' based on an assumption along with your inflammatory statements about women are unfounded without factual documentation. You sound sexist and emotionally based in your thought process. I am a woman with a PhD and I am, using your logic as a model, going to assume you are poorly educated, frustrated, unhappy, and have not achieved any real success in your life. If you had actual information, I would understand your statements about the phone use, but to assume and make hurtful statements identifies you as ridiculously ignorant.
  13. mddd
    mddd - November 22, 2012 2:15 pm
    sorry didn't mean to send it twice.
  14. mddd
    mddd - November 22, 2012 1:58 pm
    "In the end, all that matters is how we treat eachother." For you Beautiful ;)
  15. mddd
    mddd - November 22, 2012 1:55 pm
    "In the end, all that matters is how we treat eachother." For you beautiful ;)

16. lamc
    lamc - November 21, 2012 8:23 am
    You obviously need attention glassdogangle. Why else would you keep commenting on someone that you don't know? You don't know the complete details of what happened. You are just using what little imagination you have to create more pain for those people who were truly affected by this event. You are the hateful creature.
  17. cahoots
    cahoots - November 19, 2012 7:02 pm
    I couldn't agree more.
  18. kmb
    kmb - November 19, 2012 6:27 pm
    Maybe you should focus on the tragedy that this caused many people. Not on what you "think" caused it.She was a beautiful person that we lost too soon.The other family involved is suffering also.
  19. cahoots
    cahoots - November 19, 2012 6:24 pm
    The fact that someone could be so heartless to say such a thing is beyond comprehention. If you don't know what happened just SHUT YOUR MOUTH. The crash didn't happen because Dannica was a female, that has nothing to do with it!!! I loved that girl with all my heart, and she was one of the brightest and most amazing people I've ever met. . Dannica's family and friends are in pain right now, how dare you make their pain deeper. Next time think, before you say something so hurtful!!
  20. lamc
    lamc - November 19, 2012 5:57 pm
    Wow, that is awesome to hear that it is always a woman that causes accidents. You must be male. You also have no basis on what caused the accident, so why don't you keep your stupid opinions to yourself. Dannica was a beautiful, kind, friendly young woman whom you obviously know nothing about.
  21. glassdogangle
    glassdogangle - November 18, 2012 10:31 am
    Why is it that every time I check ADH online, there is a story about a car crash where people sometimes die, and sometimes not, but there are consistent elements which are undeniable. First, it is usually a woman who caused the crash. Second, the "accident" is caused by the woman veering into another lane and hitting another car/truck/motorcycle for "unknown" reasons. I am wondering if cell phones or texting is causing these crashes. How on earth does a person drift over to the oncoming lane without realizing it, I guess is what my question is.
  22. SkySmiles4u
    SkySmiles4u - November 15, 2012 9:07 pm
    Prayers for your grandparents' recovery, Nunn, and for comfort for you and all of your family!! This has to be such a difficult time for everyone.
  23. Maelette
    Maelette - November 15, 2012 7:42 pm
    Such a sad time for families at this time! Precious grace be with the victims families and prayers for the survivors recovering in the hospital.
  24. Nunn15
    Nunn15 - November 15, 2012 6:09 pm
    It is so sad that Dannica was killed in the accident. Please don't forget about the other victims that are in the hospital due to this, with very serious injuries. They are my grandparents! My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone that has been effected by this horrible accident.
  25. Shaise
    Shaise - November 15, 2012 4:38 pm
    my thoughts and prayers are with Dannica's family. so sad for their loss of this beautiful Person.
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Activate subscription button gif
where am i logo
50 Objects

Events Calendar

Login or register to add your events to the calendar! Add event

Poll

How do you think the Greater Albany Public Schools District has been doing in its response to the fire that destroyed a building at South Albany High School?

View Results