Eleven young musicians took part in Oregon Music Teachers Association's Guthrie and Jenks scholarship auditions on April 7 at Oregon State University.
The Linn-Benton chapter of OMTA facilitates the yearly event, while the Benton Community Foundation manages the endowments.
Among the participants, several will graduate from Corvallis, Toledo and Albany schools this spring, while others are currently studying at Oregon State University.
The following earned scholarships:
• Phillip Hommes seeks an OSU Master of Music degree and plans to teach at the high school level.
• Katey Simmons is also studying music education at OSU. Both are active in choir and solo endeavors.
• Bianca Reinalda plays trombone and will begin music education study in the fall.
• Ryan Manhard, a tenor, will also will study at OSU’s School of Music Education.
• Maggie Newell will earn a bachelor’s degree in vocal performance at OSU, after which she will study for a master’s degree. Her goal is to perform in a professional ensemble.
All of the students have participated in honor choirs and instrumental ensembles during their high school careers. They continue to contribute to the success of their award-winning high school and university choirs and bands.