My first story of the New Year is the Oregon State 2012 year in review. We relived the top five story lines about the Beavers the GT covered in the last 12 months, voted on by the staff. Check them out here.
However, here's my look back at what the Internet readers thought were the top stories of the past year. This comes from what stories had the most hits on the GT website.
Football reigned supreme as usual. The top 50 and counting were football stories.
The topics that had readers interested most were the quarterback drama and early week preview stories of upcoming games.
That last part was strange. Last year my game analysis were ahead of the previews. I think readers wanted to read me bashing the team, kind of how you can't turn away from watching a train wreck. This year fans were eager for the next game or were busy celebrating in the aftermath.
Here's the top-25 countdown by headline with a comment about the story for some context.
25. Several things went right for the Beavers against Arizona: A postgame analysis.
24. Sizing up the offensive line: Feature on the improved line.
23. Vaz zeros in on second week as starting quarterback: Fans accept Cody Vaz as the guy to lead the offense.
22. Spring practice begins with an injury and two suspensions: Spring practice has a lot of excitement each year.
21. With postseason wrapped up it's time to climb postseason ladder: A postgame analysis.
20. Favored Beavers not looking past Utah: Early-week preview story.
19. Passing offenses between Beavers and Wildcats clash: Early-week preview story.
18. A new approach to special teams: An early look at changes to the third phase of the game.
17. Dime defense a significant change for Beavers: Midweek feature after first game.
16. Promising start could lead to be a big season: A midseason look at the season.
15. Porous pass defense to face pass-happy Cougars: Early-week preview story.
14. Bishop retires, seven others leave the team: Tough break for a good guy, Jordan Bishop, and spring info.
13. Beavers prove they deserve high ranking: A postgame analysis
12. BYU uses a different approach than what Beavers have seen: Early-week preview story.
11. Mannion has successful surgery: The beginning of Sean Mannion's recovery from a knee injury
10. OSU's defense hopes to pressure the Huskies: Early-week preview story.
9. OSU faces second-place showdown at Stanford on Saturday: Early-week preview story
8. OSU-Nicholls State game called off: This was a crazy time at the start of the season.
7. Biggest nonconference game coming to Corvallis: Early-week preview story for Wisconsin.
6. Mannion injuries his meniscus: The beginning of the QB drama.
5. OSU awaits Alamo or Holiday selection today: The new picking way of choosing the bowl teams created excitement.
4. Banker denies rumors he interviewed for USC job: Some readers were worried and some excited about defensive coordinator Mark Banker leaving.
3. Recruiting benefits come from Alamo Bowl appearance: Recruiting stories are always of high interest.
2. Mannion feels good after surgery: Fans wanted him back soon
1. Mannion to have surgery; out indefinitely: There was a lot of uncertainty at the time.